Saturday, November 24, 2007

Simple Things

The congregation was asked, "What are you thankful for"? I thought this would be easy. So I sat and thought, while others stood, one by one, and thanked God. Some thanked Him for "Big" things, while others thanked him for the "Simple" things. Simple things.

Looking back, I remember trying to think of something spectacular God had done for me, so I too could stand and give thanks. I never stood. Simple things.

Don't get me wrong, there have been many, many spectacular things God has done for me that I'm thankful for. Writing this is spectacular to me! But its His love, His mercy, His forgiveness, that I'm most thankful for.

I'm thankful that He never gave up on me. He called, I came, I left. He called, I came, I left. Repeat again. Notice I left. He never left me!

I'm thankful for Him allowing me to leave. WHAT! Yes, I'm thankful. I believe it was during these times of trials that I grew. It was all part of Gods plan, and for his plan, I'm thankful.

But all this I never thought of when asked what I was thankful for. I really didn't need to. Simple things.

These past few days, while Ive been enjoying the holiday, I remembered the simple things.

First of all, I'm thankful for my family. My wife of almost 22 years, and my 3 children. As my boys were hunting, I thought back to Thanksgivings when I was young, when I would spend the week hunting with my dad and other relatives. Heritage. I'm thankful for my heritage.

I'm thankful that God thinks enough of our family that he placed my niece with us to raise as our own for the past four months.

My health. I am 43 years old and have never had a broken bone and only a couple minor surgeries. A little arthritis, but that's my fault, not Gods.

And one more. My friends. I'm thankful for a group of friends, who although I walked out on them time and time again, they, like Jesus, welcomed me home. They allow me to teach their children. They allow me to lead our church service. They allow me to speak and sing. Simple things.

Simple, and yet spectacular. Spectacular, not because I'm unqualified, but because I'm undeserving.

For this, I'm thankful.

1 comment:

Andrew Beckner said...

I guess it's human nature to only be thankful for the "big" things. I fail to truly realize that literally each and every breath is a gift of God. How often am I thankful that I have a job? That there's an apple on my desk right now? That I had a cup of coffee this morning when I needed to wake up?

Yeah, I need to wake up alright.