Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Total Surrender

I spent the most part of last week reading and searching God's word in order to debate a doctrinal issue with a fellow Christian. I really felt like I was doing the right thing, after all, I knew I was right. Then I stopped and listened to the still small voice in my head. "Why are you wasting your time discussing My words with your brother? If you are so determined to tell someone what you believe, tell your unsaved friends and family!"

That brings me to Sunday School. We had a very good lesson on King Josiah. Josiah was doing right, trying to change the wrong doings of the past sixty years. I'm sure he thought he was doing all he could. Then someone handed him the Word of God. The scripture says that after he read the TRUTH, he rent his clothes. I began to think, how many Christians today "feel" like they are doing all they can or need to do. It's when we get into the Word, that we realize our shortcomings.

Our teacher made the comment that Josiah wanted to serve God one hundred percent, and asked the question how could this be done. The first thought that came to my mind was total surrender, and I suggested it. This of course raised more questions of what is "total surrender".

So, the past few days I have not wasted my time worrying about proving to a friend that I believe that I am right, instead I have been searching and praying for divine revelation of a word that I can't seem to get out of my head. Surrender.

I read some of Oswald Chambers writings on this subject, and I think he nailed it on the head. (He always does!) When we can get to the point where we no longer want God's blessings, but God Himself, we have surrendered. Let me put it in my words. If our spouse, or child, or parent went away and said that they would come back soon, would we not watch every day with great excitement and anticipation? Would we not wake up each day and pray and hope that this is the day that they return? And each day that they didn't would we not be sad, and when we lay our heads on our pillows at night would we not cry a little?

That's the thought I had. Total Surrender. Being emotionally wrapped up in God that every word, thought, and deed is centered on my love for Him.

Is this attainable? I can't answer for anyone but myself. I do know that once I'm there, a debate over doctrine will not even enter my mind.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since you were the one who wanted to prove your stance, and I was willing to let it go, maybe you should try to pattern your life after mine.
If I can be of help, let me know.
Mark

R.Browning said...

Heaven will surely be full of laughter with Mark there!