Sunday, March 2, 2008

By What Authority?

I had a very interesting week. It all started last Sunday morning when a broken mother requested prayer for her daughter. This request continued into Sunday school class as the sister also requested prayer for her sister. As class was ending, one lady felt that we as a class, should meet early that day and have a special prayer for this family that Satan is trying to destroy. So we did.

Those who were able gathered together, and in one mind and one accord, arms interlocked, we prayed. It was an amazing experience for me as I felt the Holy Spirit right there in our midst, just as he promised.

Monday morning while driving to work, I was still praising God for the obedience of the one who said to pray, for the prayer itself, and for the answer to the prayer which is to come.

And that's when it happened. Out of nowhere I was blindsided by the adversary with the question, "By what authority doest thou these things?" Yeah, crazy huh? That's when I remembered what one of the elders who was present with us said. "We have to claim it now".

So my mind began racing and I began quoting scripture and claimed the promises of God. It was almost too easy as the Holy Spirit directed me and assured me that the same voice who said "stretch forth thine hand", also said "let there be light". The same voice who said "Arise, take up thy bed and walk" also "...called his twelve disciples together, and gave them Power and Authority over all devils, and to cure diseases".

A few days later I stopped by a bible book store that I had seen and when I walked in, there was a table of hundreds of books marked fifty percent off. I reached for the middle of the pile and moved the top book to see in bold letters, "AUTHORITY IN PRAYER- Praying with Power and Purpose"!!! Coincidence? I don't think so. Of course I bought the book.

By what authority? We do these things by the authority of the Author himself! The one who started everything, and will finish it.

I pray that each of his disciples will claim this power and authority, and when we here his voice say "who will go?", we can boldly say "here am I, send me!"

No comments: