Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Christmas Partyless

My friend Andrew Beckner, The Candid Christian, had a very interesting post a few weeks ago about the holidays. If you haven't read it, please do. The topic is the reason for the season and the "Happy Holidays" vs "Merry Christmas" debate. I for one agree that its not my place to make a fuss about the Chili's waitress saying Happy Holidays to me instead of Merry Christmas, because I don't want to get her in trouble with her boss, or even worse, lose her job.
The one thing I cant seem to get out of my mind however, is the fact that some companies have had to cancel their December Christmas parties, and replace them with a "Winter Gathering" sometime in January. I know of one instance where there is only one person, maybe two, who does not believe in the celebration of Christs birth. Wow! How powerful those people must feel. To know that they made a stand about what they don't believe in and corporate America fell to their knees. The presidents of these companies have way more understanding about "keeping everybody happy" than I ever would. My policy would be, if you don't like it, don't come! I guess that's why I will never be president of a company.
I heard a song the other day that had a very good point in it. It said something to the effect that its amazing that a man who lived over two thousand years ago is still so intimidating that his name is not allowed to be used even in part of a word.
I will be having several Christmas parties this year. At home, church, my mothers, my in-laws, etc... I always have and always will enjoy celebrating the birth of Jesus.
And it wont offend me at all if in passing you wish me a "Happy Holiday" or a "Seasons Greetings". Just don't be offended when I reply with Merry CHRISTmas.

No comments: